Reports to: Somer Huntley, COO
Location: Bay Area, CA
Salary Range: $110-$145K
Dream Corps closes prison doors and opens doors of opportunity. We bring people together across racial, social, and partisan lines to create a future with freedom and dignity for all. We are working to build a future wherein "we the people" means all of us.
This is a great opportunity for a seasoned, accomplished human resources leader to join Dream Corps at a pivotal time in the organization’s evolution. Your focus will be on finding and developing talent; creating exciting career paths; and fostering an environment of high-performance, innovation, and passion that will help the amazing members of our team flourish. You will have overall responsibility for directing our efforts in human resources, recruiting, diversity & inclusion, learning & development, and various cultural initiatives. You will develop strategies and implement programs that inspire, motivate and develop our employees, and you will be a major champion of our culture and values. This is a chance to have a massive impact for a mission-driven organization.
Strategic Human Resources
- Act as a partner to and member of the Dream Corps leadership team, participate in future-focused strategy development and prioritize the needs and professional growth of staff at all levels.
- Supervise and mentor People Operations Manager and Senior Manager of Human Resources as well as vendor/volunteers/consultants as needed.
- Ensure the organization has the right structure and talent to meet short- and long-term organizational goals and objectives. This will include talent pipeline development, innovative recruitment & sourcing, and understanding larger employment trends.
- Develop and cultivate relationships and systems for Dream Corps and employees in ways that contribute to satisfaction, productivity, motivation, and morale.
- Work with employees and managers to resolve work-related issues; reviewing policies and practices governing workplace rules and conduct.
- Ensure staff develop and/or enhance necessary skills and competencies for effective performance and provide training opportunities for staff.
- Help leaders/managers spot and develop those with potential to be the next leaders at Dream Corps.
- Ensure leaders have the appropriate skills and necessary training to effectively lead the organization.
- Translate and operationalize organizational strategy and needs into policies and programs in all talent related areas: recruitment, on-boarding, talent development and management, succession planning, employee relations, compensation and benefits, compliance, workplace culture, etc.
- Ensure collaborative, solutions-based employee relations approach; provides ongoing review of policies/practices governing workplace rules/conduct.
- Develop and lead the performance management program as well as investments in staff skill and career development.
- Maintain, improve and implement excellent orientation and onboarding.
- Work with colleagues to strategically anticipate talent requirements and manage all components of the talent management system, while building talent management acumen (leadership) across the organization.
- Experience in overseeing H.R. policies, systems, compensation and benefit programs.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Create strategy and lead the organization’s anti-racism work.
- Drive and support engagement, belonging and learning across Dream Corps, in partnership with leadership.
- Cultivate multiple talent pipelines to reach diverse candidates.
- Build organizational culture, maximizes employee engagement, and monitors climate.
- Build diversity, equity, and inclusion awareness by strategically partnering with all functions and integrating high-impact DEI strategies into talent acquisition; talent and performance management (e.g., succession planning and mentoring); and training.
- Develop Dream Corps as an attractive, inclusive place for staff to do their best work.
- Partner with teams across the organization to develop and implement DEI strategy.
Skills and Attributes
- HR/Talent management experience with a distributed/remote staff; ideally having experience with a mission-driven nonprofit organization.
- Setting clear priorities for investments in people and systems.
- Managing strategic, complex organizational and talent-related projects and work streams.
- Putting ideas into practice through the implementation of talent systems and processes.
- Enabling an organization’s equity, diversity and inclusion journey.
- Creating and building relationships at all levels of an organization, and externally with talent networks.
- Experience in facilitating organizational change within a growing organization, to include coaching managers and leaders.
- Strong HR tech/systems skills e.g., Asana, Bamboo HR etc.
- The mindset of our staff impacts our work. Possession of the following attributes will help you be successful on our team: flexibility, honesty, humor, inclusivity, and open-mindedness. We work hard and are action oriented in our approach to solutions.
- Ability to connect with people from diverse backgrounds and life experience is essential.
- A highly curious individual with a growth mindset.
- Flexible work style and interest in being part of a dynamic, evolving team and organization.
- Possess high integrity and the experience and confidence, to effectively address sensitive HR and business issues with complete discretion and confidentiality
- A natural coach and mentor with an ability to foster relationships with all levels of the team, to relate well with others, to listen effectively, and to help employees at all levels achieve their development goals.
- Minimum 5-7 years of professional experience in related field(s).
- A self-directed leader with an entrepreneurial spirit who proactively takes ownership and is excited to scale our team.
- A deep knowledge of legal HR compliance matters. Knowledge of California and U.S. employment laws and regulations required.
- Experience with talent management and pipeline development.
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism.
- Demonstrated strong work ethic and ability to work hard and effectively in a fast-paced work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, while simultaneously acting as a leader. and participate in complex collaborative processes.
- An excellent project manager with a proven ability to design and implement people operations strategies that drive business results
- A highly ethical individual with unquestioned integrity and the experience, confidence, and stature to effectively address sensitive HR and business issues with complete discretion and confidentiality
- Strong background in social/economic justice and equity.
Dream Corps is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and strive for a workforce that reflects the populations that we serve.