Reports to: Senior National Director, Green For All
Salary Range: $110,000-$150,000 for Oakland, CA (adjusted for location)
Dream Corps closes prison doors and opens doors of opportunity. We bring people together across racial, social, and partisan lines to create a future with freedom and dignity for all. We are working to build a future wherein "we the people" means all of us.
Green For All fights for a world that is green for all, not green for some. We work at the intersection of environmental, economic, and racial justice movements to advance solutions to poverty and pollution.
The Director of Green Jobs and Entrepreneurship, in consultation with the Senior National Director, is responsible for overseeing Green For All’s Green Jobs and Entrepreneurship work nationally. The Director of Green Jobs and Entrepreneurship will take the lead in partnership cultivation and strategy development, implementation, and evaluation for the following activities: Green Finance and Investment Strategy, Green For All Business Council, Green Jobs Scholarship Program, and the Green Jobs Training Cohort. The Director will work collaboratively with the Policy Director to ensure there is a green entrepreneurship and jobs legislative strategy in place at both the federal and state level. The Director will also assist the Dream Corps Chief Program Officer in building out the Dream Corps strategy to engage the financial sector in advancing Dream Corps overall mission and goals, including how the financial sector can help advance all Dream Corps programs strategically.
The Director of Green Jobs and Entrepreneurship will report to the Senior National Director, and will manage the Green Jobs Program Manager, Program Assistant, and interns. They will work closely with all of the members of the Green For All Leadership team, Green For All staff, and Dream Corps departments including development, digital engagement, and communications.
Key responsibilities include providing strategic guidance and direction for all Green Jobs and Entrepreneurship policies, programs and initiatives, conducting research and analysis, convening with private sector partners including companies and investment firms, and assisting with funder pitches and grant reports to resource our Green Jobs and Entrepreneurship Program as needed.
Green Financing and Entrepreneurship
- Work closely with the Dream Corps Chief Programs Officer and Green For All Senior National Director to develop and guide Green For All’s strategy to leverage private investment and green financing opportunities (ie Environment/Social/Governance (ESG) funds, social impact investment platforms, and Community Development and Financial Institutions (CDFI).
- Support landscape analyses of green economy investment opportunities and provide recommendations for Dream Corps and Green For All.
- Support National Director in shaping climate equity commitments that companies committed to reducing their emissions (such as Climate Pledge companies), could make to ensure their efforts simultaneously advance equity and a just transition.
- Work with the Dream Corps Chief Programs Officer and Green For All Senior National Director to pitch funding opportunities to a variety of diverse investors.
- Perform and oversee research on green technology, workforce and economic development, and reentry issues related to green jobs and entrepreneurship.
- Lead the Green For All Business Council and help shape its mission, vision and purpose, as well as help catalyze and align its activities.
- Work with the Policy Director and Government Affairs team to draft federal legislative proposals that will create opportunities for Black and Brown Entrepreneurs, provide testimony at hearings, and meet with legislators and advocacy groups.
Green Scholarship and Jobs
- Oversee the Green Jobs Program and the portfolio of the Green Jobs Manager.
- Manage existing Green For All relationships amongst major corporate partners.
- Grow new relationships between Green For All and major corporate partners.
- Work quickly to address and resolve corporate partner and/or cohort participant needs.
- Manage coalitions of diverse partners and convene stakeholders from across the political spectrum to advance program goals.
- Build and maintain exceptional professional relationships with policy-makers, program partners, coalitions, and advocates.
- Oversee Green For All’s participation in consulting projects focused on organizational growth and programmatic impact.
Program Development, Leadership, & Management:
- Provide effective leadership, management and supervision of Green Jobs and Entrepreneurship staff, interns, and/or consultants.
- Identify opportunities to uplift our Senior National Director and Green For All’s visibility and brand awareness in the private sector and support influencer engagement related to Green Jobs and Entrepreneurship.
- Participate in strategic annual planning and regular campaign/program planning.
- Participate in regular Green For All leadership and team meetings, Dream Corps all-staff meetings, quarterly and annual retreats, etc.
- Contribute towards a positive, productive, and collaborative working environment.
- Model organizational core values of solutions, servant leadership, and soul.
- Remain accountable for position responsibilities and develop ongoing individual leadership and talent plans.
- Be responsive to incoming communications (inbox, slack channel, etc) during normal working hours.
- Keep Salesforce, Shared Drive, and Asana updated in a timely manner for effective information sharing in our remote culture.
- Support implementation and adherence with all other organizational policies and procedures.
- Coordinate closely with Green For All team mates and government affairs staff across Dream Corps.
- Work with program leadership and internal core departments (development, engagement, and communications) to design and implement activities related to Green Jobs and Entrepreneurship.
- Monitor progress of planned activities and provide regular updates and reports.
- Represent Green For All in external meetings and events when the Senior National Director is unavailable, and effectively engage both liberal and conservative groups.
- Must be willing and able to travel to meet with clients and partners (estimated 20-25%), as well as in-person staff meetings and retreats in California, upon safely resuming in-person travel.
Skills and Attributes
- Commitment to collaboration. At Dream Corps we are committed to using our established communication tools as a way to build relationships and create a future that is good for us all.
- The mindset of our staff impacts our work. Possession of the following attributes will help you be successful on our team: flexibility, honesty, humor, inclusivity, and open-mindedness. We work hard and are action oriented in our approach to solutions.
- Ability to connect with people from diverse backgrounds and life experience is essential.
We are especially interested in candidates who have direct policy or finance area expertise related to green jobs and entrepreneurship, have strong written and verbal communications skills, and a passion for bridging divides and bringing people together around a common cause. Candidates who have been personally impacted by climate disruption, environmental racism, and/or economic oppression; or have spent significant time living and working in communities impacted by these issues are encouraged to apply.
- A strong demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice is required.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of relevant work experience and a track record of success.
- MBA, Policy, or Law degree or relevant advanced degree preferred, but not required if the candidate has additional relevant years of experience.
- Extensive knowledge of green investment procurement strategies and key players, workforce and economic development issues and what is needed to transition the American economy to carbon neutrality while creating wealth building opportunities for people of color.
- Experience working with ESG initiatives within the private sector, CDFI’s or venture capital
- Experience building a program from the inception.
- Strong working knowledge of state and federal policy-making processes.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and leverage strong working relationships with key decision makers, partners and diverse stakeholders, including both conservatives and liberals.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including excellent writing and editing skills, persuasive communication, public presentation and/or meeting facilitation skills, and ability to be an effective media spokesperson.
- Appreciation for empathy-based communications and storytelling, digital advocacy, grassroots organizing, and movement building.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize work effectively.
- Experience working in driven and fast-paced teams, often working under pressure while maintaining congenial relationships and a high quality of work.
- Solid staff supervision and coaching skills to inspire individuals and teams to a high level of performance.
- Willing to take initiative, exercise good judgment, and use diplomacy and discretion.
- A roll-up-your-sleeves, no-job-too-small, go-the-extra-mile work ethic.
- A values-based, principled approach and willingness to work with people you don’t always agree with to advance positive change.
- Ability to deliver high impact results.
All full-time employees receive Medical, Dental & Vision coverage. Dream Corps pays 100% of premiums for employee, spouse and dependents. Part-time employees receive 50% coverage. After a 6 month waiting period, employees can contribute to our retirement plan. Currently, Dream Corps offers up to a 5% match. We also offer a flexible spending, pre-tax program for medical expenses, dependent care expenses, transit expenses and parking expenses. All full-time Dream Corps employees accrue 4 weeks of vacation time off and 12 days of sick time off over the first year of employment. Part-time employees accrue time off on a prorated basis. In addition to 10 paid holidays, Dream Corps also provides paid time off from December 24th through January 1st each year.
Dream Corps is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and strive for a workforce that reflects the populations that we serve.