Reports to: CEO
Location: Oakland, CA (remote location possible, depending on candidate)
Salary Range: $175K - $200K, Depending on experience, adjusted for location.
Dream Corps closes prison doors and opens doors of opportunity. We bring people together across racial, social, and partisan lines to create a future with freedom and dignity for all. We are working to build a future wherein "we the people" means all of us.
Dream Corps is searching for our first ever Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) to develop and execute a comprehensive storytelling narrative, marketing philosophy, and brand strategy. The CMO will oversee and align the Engagement, Communications, Marketing and Development Departments and serve on the C-suite and leadership teams, reporting directly to the CEO.
The ideal candidate is ready to lead a diverse team of creatives, organizers and strategists who are busy creating a future worth living in. The CMO should think big, care deeply, value risk-taking, and have experience building brands that people care about. They should be equally passionate about metrics and beauty – delivering measurable results while also developing cutting-edge campaigns that inspire and motivate people in the real world.
Overall strategy, leadership and management
- Develop the overall storytelling narrative, marketing philosophy, and brand strategy for Dream Corps and each of our programs with support from the CEO and CPO.
- Lead and empower the Engagement, Communications, Marketing and Development Teams in the creation and execution of their annual plans, ensuring strategic alignment across all departments.
- Collaborate with the CPO to set organizational KPI’s and create systems for managing against benchmarks and analyzing and reporting results. Establish clear goals and objectives for each department and help create systems of tracking and accountability.
- Help Directors manage the communications, engagement, and development budgets, including suggested allocation of spend to achieve organizational targets.
- Serve as an executive leader on the C-Suite, owning organizational outcomes, embodying our core values, and building a workplace where the staff can thrive.
- Develop inspiring and soulful multi-channel, multi-segment marketing campaigns based on organizational and programmatic goals, industry-leading insight and fundraising needs.
- Identify and anticipate marketing trends and technological innovations to help craft cutting-edge campaigns, increase member retention, and strengthen the power of our network.
- Oversee influencer engagement activities, cause marketing partnerships and other high-profile stakeholder events. Ensure Dream Corps events are consistent with our brand strategy and are developed to meet organizational & programmatic KPIs.
- Create and maintain an active network of marketing relationships.
Communications, Engagement and Development
- Own brand narrative and creative storytelling in partnership with programs and communications to establish our unique brand positioning, stay relevant with shifting political trends, and stay connected with our members.
- Help program teams identify powerful stories, opportunities and campaigns that are consistent with the overall brand strategy while also understanding unique needs of the members of each program.
- Set the overall social media strategy for our channels and oversee the implementation in the relevant departments .
- Balance creativity and innovation with data-first learning to implement strategies that reach our organizational & departmental KPIs and strengthen our ability to create systems-wide change.
- Work with other members of the Leadership Team to ensure that all work done across the organization is integrated and driven by one team, one dream, and one strategy.
- Ensure the values and cultural attributes that will support Dream Corps’ vision, mission and roles in the field and consistent with its external brand are identified and established
- Develop the capabilities of staff, nurture their careers, and manage the performance of individuals and teams
- Participate in strategic planning at the Dream Corps
- Establish clear outcome-based goals capturing what success looks like for your team and for individual staff members, and ensure that plans are in place for meeting those goals.
Skills and Attributes
- Commitment to collaboration. At Dream Corps we are committed to using our established communication tools as a way to build relationships and create a future that is good for us all.
- The mindset of our staff impacts our work. Possession of the following attributes will help you be successful on our team: flexibility, honesty, humor, inclusivity, and open-mindedness. We work hard and are action oriented in our approach to solutions.
- Ability to connect with people from diverse backgrounds and life experience is essential.
- You care deeply about getting results in your realm, and you do what it takes to get them, including paying attention to even small details, anticipating problems, offering creative solutions, driving work forward, and course-correcting when needed.
- You proactively develop solutions to challenges and push to get past roadblocks. You approach work with a spirit of “yes”; strike a positive tone and adapt cheerfully as things change.
- You maintain an optimistic outlook and always look for ways to make ideas work before assuming they won’t.
- You firmly believe that we can all do things we’ve never done before, and can stretch ourselves to achieve incredible results.
- You take the time to teach and offer useful and actionable feedback, make sure that people feel their efforts are appreciated, and expect that people will make mistakes and see those as opportunities for learning.
- 8+ years of experience in planning, managing, and executing multi-channel, multi-segment communications, branding and marketing campaigns.
- An ability to drive national conversations through deeply human and culturally relevant storytelling.
- Advanced subject matter knowledge of traditional and digital marketing with a passion for staying on the cutting edge of new developments in network building, digital fundraising, social media strategy, member acquisition and retention systems and technology.
- Excellent communication, writing, editing, and presentation skills with the ability to communicate effectively across various departments and create best-in-class content..
- Dynamic leader with proven track record of leading organizations and teams through significant change and growth. Strong managerial experience including hiring, managing, coaching and inspiring teams.
- Experience in working with diverse audiences, including elected officials, community leaders, bipartisan coalitions and the public.
- A collaborative approach and strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively with C-suite, leadership team, colleagues and staff.
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to social justice. Experience with nonprofit organizations and social change movements preferred.
All full-time employees receive Medical, Dental & Vision coverage. Dream Corps pays 100% of premiums for employee, spouse and dependents. Part-time employees receive 50% coverage. After a 6 month waiting period, employees can contribute to our retirement plan. Currently, Dream Corps offers up to a 5% match. We also offer a flexible spending, pre-tax program for medical expenses, dependent care expenses, transit expenses and parking expenses. All full-time Dream Corps employees accrue 4 weeks of vacation time off and 12 days of sick time off over the first year of employment. Part-time employees accrue time off on a prorated basis. In addition to 10 paid holidays, Dream Corps also provides paid time off from December 24th through January 1st each year.
Dream Corps is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and strive for a workforce that reflects the populations that we serve.