Reports to: Chief Marketing Officer
Location: Oakland, CA (remote location possible, depending on candidate)
Salary Range: $100K-120K, Depending on experience, adjusted for location.
Dream Corps closes prison doors and opens doors of opportunity. We bring people together across racial, social, and partisan lines to create a future with freedom and dignity for all. We are working to build a future wherein "we the people" means all of us.
Dream Corps seeks an experienced, mission-driven leader to serve as our Director of Communications. The Director is a member of the organization’s Leadership Team, reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO). Managing a growing team of issue area experts and media savvy professionals, this role is responsible for ensuring the story of our work is told in a way that makes sense, attracts members and inspires action.
The ideal candidate is a natural storyteller and creative problem solver who can spin stories and implement strategies in a fast-paced and often rapidly changing environment. Working closely with Engagement, Marketing, Development, and Program staff, the Director of Communications is a highly collaborative leader. The ideal candidate for Dream Corps should have a passion for studying social change, movement building, and politics in order to drive innovative thought leadership as we grow and scale the organization.
Strategic planning for communications, branding, and marketing:
- Help create the overall communications, branding, and marketing strategies for Dream Corps-level and program-level campaigns alongside the CMO and the Directors of Engagement.
- Determine appropriate communications channels and tactics to disseminate Dream Corps news, promote campaigns, publicize events, and broaden and engage diverse audiences.
- Create and maintain the processes and systems needed to carry out the communications & social media strategy for the organization.
- Set KPIs objectives for the communications team and monitor results and performance. Analyze and report on results.
- Oversee social media management for platforms managed by the department, ensuring compelling and consistent written content for community building online.
- Facilitate “one voice” and good use of the Dream Corps brand both internally and externally. Work with all stakeholders to ensure uniformity in messaging and branding.
Public Affairs and Media Relations
- Digest the news cycle, political events and national happenings in order to guide consistent and cohesive responses to daily events on issues at the intersection of criminal justice reform, climate, and technology.
- Oversee outreach to local, regional, and national press to pitch stories, promote local events, maximize media coverage, and enhance Dream Corps visibility in communities statewide and nationwide;
- Help arrange interviews and press events to promote Dream Corps, our programs, our campaigns, and our leaders
- Increase coverage of our work by cultivating and maintaining relationships with key reporters, editors, producers, and bookers and other influential professionals
- Provide talking points and prepare staff, volunteers, and other spokespeople for media appearances as needed.
- Partner with the CEO & CPO in developing and articulating our key messages, philosophies, theory of change and overarching frameworks that make up our unique and differentiated brand narrative.
- Position Dream Corps as a systems change leader and as experts in our program areas. Help promote senior leaders through social media and at conferences, meetings and events.
- Produce and sometimes author major reports, op-eds, blog posts, books, annual reports, and other publications in order to forward our brand identity in order to reach our goals.
- Research, identify and anticipate trends and innovations in our sector
- Amplify important partnerships with peers, foundations, corporations through targeted media outreach.
- Keep staff, board, partners and donors apprised of Dream Corps’s work.
- Lead staff education and training around communications, branding & marketing.
Management, staff development and organizational leadership:
- Manage, mentor, coach and inspire a team of communications professionals and contractors in an environment that supports professional growth, results, and accountability
- Identify new opportunities to increase professional development for communications staff.
- Collaborate with the leadership team to help shape organizational direction and ensure that priority issues and campaigns have a strong communications infrastructure.
- Contribute to the annual budgeting process, ensuring that needed resources are identified and secured, and being accountable for project expenses.
- Work with other members of the Leadership Team to ensure that all work done across the organization is integrated and driven by one team, one dream, and one strategy.
- Ensure the values and cultural attributes that will support Dream Corps’ vision, mission and roles in the field and consistent with its external brand are identified and established
- Develop the capabilities of staff, nurture their careers, and manage the performance of individuals and teams
- Participate in strategic planning at the Dream Corps
- Establish clear outcome-based goals capturing what success looks like for your team and for individual staff members, and ensure that plans are in place for meeting those goals.
Skills and Attributes
- Commitment to collaboration. At Dream Corps we are committed to using our established communication tools as a way to build relationships and create a future that is good for us all.
- The mindset of our staff impacts our work. Possession of the following attributes will help you be successful on our team: flexibility, honesty, humor, inclusivity, and open-mindedness. We work hard and are action oriented in our approach to solutions.
- Ability to connect with people from diverse backgrounds and life experience is essential.
- You care deeply about getting results in your realm, and you do what it takes to get them, including paying attention to even small details, anticipating problems, offering creative solutions, driving work forward, and course-correcting when needed.
- You proactively develop solutions to challenges and push to get past roadblocks. You approach work with a spirit of “yes”; strike a positive tone and adapt cheerfully as things change.
- You maintain an optimistic outlook and always look for ways to make ideas work before assuming they won’t.
- You firmly believe that we can all do things we’ve never done before, and can stretch ourselves to achieve incredible results.
- You take the time to teach and offer useful and actionable feedback, make sure that people feel their efforts are appreciated, and expect that people will make mistakes and see those as opportunities for learning.
Candidates for the position must have at minimum:
- 6+ years of experience in communications, media relations, or public relations.
- Understanding of a broad range of Dream Corps’ issues and advocacy strategies. Being a news junkie is a plus.
- Media relations experience working with outlets at national, regional or local levels.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Experience in working with diverse audiences, including elected officials, community leaders, bipartisan coalitions and the public.
- Familiarity with social media strategy and digital platforms. Committed to learning and adapting to new and emerging tech/platforms.
- Extensive leadership, supervisory and direct management experience.
- Project management and collaboration experience including inter-departmental or multi-disciplinary projects and shepherding projects from inception to completion.
- Ability to balance priorities and move quickly in a rapidly changing political environment with tight deadlines.
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to racial & social justice.
All full-time employees receive Medical, Dental & Vision coverage. Dream Corps pays 100% of premiums for employee, spouse and dependents. Part-time employees receive 50% coverage. After a 6 month waiting period, employees can contribute to our retirement plan. Currently, Dream Corps offers up to a 5% match. We also offer a flexible spending, pre-tax program for medical expenses, dependent care expenses, transit expenses and parking expenses. All full-time Dream Corps employees accrue 4 weeks of vacation time off and 12 days of sick time off over the first year of employment. Part-time employees accrue time off on a prorated basis. In addition to 10 paid holidays, Dream Corps also provides paid time off from December 24th through January 1st each year.
Dream Corps is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and strive for a workforce that reflects the populations that we serve.